Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A steaming hot mug of Cadbury's cocoa after practice during the IOM TT......

I've only one pic for this blog and I think it is really evocative of the IOM at TT practice time ....when?
I guess there are others who will research when Cadbury had their tent offering steaming hot mugs of their best cocoa to riders on a cold morning after practice......
The pic shows just such a shot with what else but a Mk.8 KTT Velocette.....
But others have seen this original water-colour at my house....yes I forked out heaps to buy this in the late 1980's, to Thomas Quinn who lived in the San Francisco area and was an illustrator for the US "Car and Driver" magazine. This illustrated an article, likely in 1985 by the note in the bottom RH corner....
Regrettably I don't seem to have the original magazine...unusual for DQ, but.....
Back to the "others"...
Ivan Rhodes often stays with me on his infrequent visits to Sydney and commented that he thought the KTT was his... as the brass plaque on the rear mudguard was identical and the tall rider...aged by the artist, was his son Grahame Rhodes.....
I suspect it was painted from a photo taken by others.....
Its a favourite painting of mine and one I'm pleased to share with you......
Left click on the image to enlarge....

2 comments:

The Vintagent said...

Hi Dennis, I have a print of this of course; for some reason I thought the subject was David Whitworth?
Paul

The Velobanjogent said...

When I bought the print from Thomas Quinn I recall speaking with him by 'phone, but can't recall if he indicated who was the original subject for his translucent water colour.
I'm unsure if Quinn is still alive or living in SFO...perhaps you'd care to do some sleuthing and ask the question...
I have no recollection of David Whitworth being considered the subject.
Ivan Rhodes comment seems a logical solution to me.
Interesting....and perplexing...
DQ
The Velobanjogent.